Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Power of Prayer

I am proud to call myself a child of God. I am still discovering who I am in Him, but I do know that He hears my prayers, "And this is the confidence (the assurance, the privilege of boldness) which we have in Him; [we are sure] that if we ask anything (make any request) according to His will (in agreement with His own plan), He listens to and hears us. And if (since) we [positively] know that He listens to us in whatever we ask, we also know [with settled and absolute knowledge] that we have [granted us as our present possessions] the requests made of Him." (Amp. 1 John 5:14-15)

When I read this scripture, I am reminded just how precious I am to Him. He listens to me! An endless number of people praying constantly and in different dialects all over the world and all with different needs, yet He listens to each of us. I don't know how He does it because I get overwhelmed when baby girl is screaming and my little buddy is asking me questions and tv is too loud, lol. Yet, He listens to me.

Sometimes I feel like a prayer goes unanswered or wasn't heard and that's when Matthew 7:7-8 comes to mind, "Keep on asking and it will be given to yo; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you. For everyone who keeps on asking receives; and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking [the door] will be opened." (Amp. Bible).

It's not that He didn't hear me. He has perfect timing. We live in a "Microwave Society", a give it to me now type attitude. He may not want you to have something that you think you want right now. He knows you better than you know yourself (Psalm 139). Sometimes we have to wait and sometimes His plan differs from our own and it is way better than what we could ever imagine. This is really hard for me sometimes because I know that I can be impatient or I want it my way. I am trying to be better at this but it is a hard lesson to learn.

Another truth in the first verse I gave is the fact that what we ask needs to line up with His word. For example: My little buddy was really sick one evening. He had began to throw up and couldn't keep anything down. I went to the store to get some anti nausea medicine. When I got there I realized that it was getting dark and both my headlights were out. I ran in only to realize that I left my wallet at home would've panicked but I went out to the car, then I heard someone call my name...it was my dad! For whatever reason he decided to stop in at that store to buy a snack. He purchased the medicine that I needed for my son. I returned home, gave him the medicine just for him to throw it up 2 more times. At this point I am ready to take him to the hospital because he is beginning to dehydrate. My father comes over to the house and we all laid hands on him and instantly, before the prayer was even over, he sat up and told me he was thirsty. He started to hop around and tell us, "thank you, thank you for praying to my God!". That night he learned that he can pray and God will hear him, and heal him too!!! What an awesome truth for him to learn. (Isaiah 53:4-5)

I am so thankful that I can go boldly into the throne room and make my requests known. I don't have to go on a waiting list, go through someone else, or hope that someone will help me. He is already there waiting on me and knows the request and He wants me to remind Him of His Word, not because He is forgetful but so I will KNOW His Word! Thank you Lord for giving me this privilege. I am truly honored to be able to come into Your presence. Thank you for hearing my prayers!

No comments: