Friday, November 12, 2010

Dinner time!

I admit that I am guilty of allowing my family to eat in front of the television. We haven't always had a table to sit at, or it was just me and my little buddy and it was easier to eat that way. Yet, as my children continue to grow I am finding it to be most important to sit down with them at the table and eat.

When I was younger, this was something that I would strive for each night with my family. I longed for us all to sit at the table. As I got older and started to help out with the cooking, I would set the table just so they could grab their plate and go sit in front of the television. I wish now that we would have engaged in conversation with each other. I may not be so horrible at speaking aloud now if I knew that what I had to say growing up was important.

My Mr. has always worked hard and was never home for dinner time. For years this used to frustrated me. I would long for him to have a 9-5 job so he could enjoy dinner with his family. When he was home he was so tired and beat up from working so much that he just wanted to sit somewhere comfortable. I understood and so I allowed those nights to pass too.

I believe that dinner time teaches so many valuable lessons to our children. It teaches them that they are important. It teaches proper table manners, you'll want these to be present when you go out to eat! It teaches them how to pray and to be thankful for our food. It teaches them how to converse. I can't afford to pass these up and not teach my children.

I am thankful that my Mr. finally has the 9-5 job now and is home for dinner. I love when my family can sit down around the table to eat. This is the one time during the day that I can slow down and take them in completely. I want my children to grow up and know that what they have to say is important. I want to know that they can come to me and talk about anything and I will sit and listen.

No comments: