Sunday, January 16, 2011

To Homeschool or not to homeschool?

This week was completely unexpected. Last Sunday night we received our first snow of the year and it was so beautiful as it fell from the sky. We sat in amazement and became giddy with excitement. School called off for a snow day on Monday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday and then again on Friday! (By the way we never have snow days!) I was okay with no school for a week. I truly loved having my little buddy home with me and playing all day. We did some work but nothing much. I wanted him to not forget things that he had began to learn at school the week before. Since Monday is an official holiday, he will not return to school until Tuesday.

Part of me is screaming inside, "NO! Keep him home. You CAN do this!!!" I so badly want to home school him and be the one that teaches him. I think this would help on so many levels...self-esteem, parent relationships, sibling relationships, building character, and instilling a Godly nature. I know that God will guide me in this process.

Homeschooling for us would be a little different. It would be like most people in the way that we have to do school work. I would also be like most people and take him to the park, the library, grocery store, teach him to cook, art projects, and so on. Yet, the difference comes in the way that I will have to not only be a teacher but the therapist as well.

My little buddy started to "stem" really bad tonight. He started to bang his head, bounce and rock back and forth. He couldn't help it and I can't let him do behave like that either. I don't like seeing him react this way. I don't know if it is because he has been out of school this week and it is driving him crazy inside, or was a lot expected of him today. I would have to be willing to learn how to help him "cope" with this issue. I would also have to learn how to be a language therapist too to help with some language deficits.

So inorder to homeschool I will have to be a mother, teacher, and 2 different therapist for my son to prosper at home. I am considering all that will have to be done and I am praying that God will lead me to know what I need to do. He has all the answers and I just need to listen.

As of right now...my heart longs to homeschool him. I would have to be prepared, (I was NOT prepared for this week). I would love for anyone to help pray for us and if you have any suggestions please leave me a comment and I will look into it. I would like to start this by August and I am going to start my research and I will let you know what I find.  

No comments: