Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

I love being able to stay at home but with that opportunity comes some sacrifices we have to make. I try my best to help out with some of the expenses of having a baby. So I cloth diaper not because I am a "green" mommy but because last month I didn't have to buy any diapers or wipes! I make a lot of meals at home and I pack Mr.'s and Little buddy's lunches. I use coupons at the store because I like seeing my total going from $108 to $65!!! (Yes I did that, my Mr. was so very proud of me!) I would have breastfed but she had some breathing issues and couldn't and when it finally cleared up I had lost all my milk supply; so I have to use formula. Now I have began to make my own baby food. I am actually enjoying this and little buddy loves to help!!! I guess in a way I'm becoming a "green" mommy:)


These are the foods that I used today to make baby food. One med. apple, two green pears, one banana, and about a cup of raw carrots.
This is the banana cut up with a little bit of water (1/4 of cup) and ready to be pureed.
All the harder fruits get boiled until they are tender...(apples and pears in this case). The carrots were boiled in the left over water from the fruit! 

This is my "baby bullet" a present from my husband because he is so very supportive in my decision to make our own baby food. It helps in the process:)

Here is another pic of the "baby bullet". I love this thing!!!

I pureed everything and now this tray will hold the individual containers. Each of the little containers of food are good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They even have a date dial so I can remember which day I made it on!

Left to right: Bananas, Apples, Carrots, and Pears!
3 Servings of each now can go in the freezer.

How much did all this cost??? We usually always have bananas, apples and carrots on hand so I only spent like $1 on the pears!!!  One pack of baby food cost about $1 per 2-pack and it's only good for up to 2 days in the fridge once you open it up. Gianna likes to eat but I think some of it would still be wasted. This gives me baby food for 17-20 meals! I am unsure how much the baby bullet cost but Anthony would not have bought it if it was not going to be worth it. I enjoy doing this and it saves a ton of money. If 20 meals are eaten from all of this food then I saved $9 off the bat by making my own.

Plus...have you ever tasted baby food? I personally think it kind of taste gross. Don't get me wrong...I have bought a couple of the baby food jars for Gianna but it was the organic kind and she didn't even like the banana one. I also know that it is all fruit and veggies with the homemade baby food. Nothing added to make it tastes better. The bananas taste like bananas, the apples taste like apples, the pears were delicious and the carrots were yummy! Yes, I tasted everything...lol.

I don't mind doing the things that I do in order for me to stay home and take care of my children. I am their mother and this is the job that God called me to do at this time. I will do this job to the best of my ability and I praise God for my husband making the decision of wanting me to stay home.

1 comment:

Momma Melinda said...

Thank you for the post! I just ordered my baby bullet and I am excited to start making foods. My baby is only three months so I still have a little while to wait but I'm already looking for recipes and stuff.