Friday, May 25, 2012

Attachment Parenting...breastfeeding

I will tell you now that I am NOT an expert on breastfeeding. I have breastfed one child for 6 weeks. And I attempted to breastfeed baby number 2 and she refused to breastfeed.

One thought that I have though, and yes I have used formula, is: Why do formula companies try to mimic breast milk if breast milk is best? I understand that some HAVE to use formula but I feel like the companies make you feel like this is just as good. They are giving an easy way out. With both of my babies I had to use the most expensive kind because they were so very sensitive and it was NOT cheap by no means. We spent $100 to $150 a month on formula alone! (Thank God I found cloth diapers or we would have the added expense of that as well. CRAZY!)  That is why I have to be successful with baby Sweetums.

As I have said, so not an expert here...so what do you do? I say do your own research. This is what I am planning on doing before baby's arrival in November:

1: Find my local La Leche League - I have heard good things about them and how much they help when you feel like giving up. I am hoping to start seeing them a couple months before baby is here so I can be well informed on some techniques that will be helpful.

2. Where I live (I'm sure they are near you too) I have a couple of places that will be holding a breastfeeding class. I plan on taking at least one of them. I think that this will be just as helpful.

3. I also think it would be good to join a support group. I mean a small group of moms (really close friends, moms, family) that have breastfed and have been successful. They will be your biggest cheerleaders!

Should you or should you not breastfeed? That is not for me to answer. You have to be the judge of what's best for you:) I have done it both ways and plan on being fully successful with baby Sweetums. I can't tell you what to do because it is your body. If you feel 6 weeks is good enough, or straight up formula, or you breastfeed until your baby is 3 years old. It is full your decision, just do your research so you can make the best choice for you, your situation, and your family!:)

No comments: