Friday, March 9, 2012

Unschool?

I have been homeschooling my son for almost a year! I know I can't believe it:) We have had our ups and downs and it is definitely NOT easy. Still, I think that it is better than sending him to a school where he could be bullied or fall behind. I have tried very hard to "keep him on schedule" but feel like I'm pushing him way too hard and way to fast. I had the thought a couple of weeks ago, "Isn't that one of the reasons I chose to homeschool? I wanted to slow it down so we could focus on the places that he was falling behind."

I began to feel really bad. It's only been a year and I have lost my focus. I have allowed schedules, personal timelines, and frustrations to take over and I have began to PUSH. Maybe, I was thinking that if we could just get threw it then we would be done and I don't have to argue with him. How WRONG I was:(

I have lost the want to do projects, art, and just enjoying him. NO MORE! I have sat in prayer wondering what to do...and this thought came to me. Where is the day to just soak it in, to let it simmer? WOW! I can do that? Saturday's are crazy Sunday's we go to church and then we are crazy busy in the afternoon. So what other day is there?

Enter the Unschooling idea. My thoughts went to this idea. I had read about it but never really gave it much thought. I decided to research it a little more. The more that I read the more excited I became. I still can't let go of the idea of not having any cirriculum but to take a day or maybe even two during the week to reflect on what we are learning. A day to challenge ourselves to read as much as we can. A day to play some board games. A day to plant in our garden. A day to explore art. A day to ___fill in the blank______.

Yes, I need that Day. We actually started last week on Dr. Suess's Birthday. We did art, we read, we played, and we even learned a little. I saw both my children be kids that day and we had a BLAST! I saw them both light up and get excited about school.

We will be making this a part of our homeschool. Isn't that one of the beauties of homeschooling? The option to make changes when you need to for the good of your family. I am extremely excited about this and can't wait to see all the wonderful things that will come from or Unschool Day!

No comments: